What Are The Dangers Of Mercury?

Mercury is one of the most toxic elements to our bodies and the environment.  Improper disposal of dental amalgam contributes to the mercury levels of our food , water and air supply affecting humans, animals , and plant life alike.

Some of the dangers of mercury are as follows:

  • peripheral neuropathy (presenting as paresthesia or itching, burning or pain)
  • skin discoloration (pink cheeks, fingertips and toes)
  • swelling
  • desquamation (shedding of skin)
  • transient rashes
  • profuse sweating
  • tachycardia (persistently faster-than-normal heart beat)
  • increased salivation
  • hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • kidney dysfunction (e.g. Fanconi syndrome)
  • neuropsychiatric symptoms such as emotional instability, memory impairment, and / or insomnia.
  • Reproductive damage

These are only a few of the symptoms of dental mercury in the environment and only time will tell how else our delicate ec0system will be affected by it.  As leaders in the community dentists must take a stand and Rebec is here to help you do just that!